From the Smoky Mountains of Tennessee to international super-stardom – Dolly Parton has spent the last 50 years singing and laughing her way into our hearts. We know her name, we know her songs, and we’ll always love her.
And now, for the first time ever, all the greatest video highlights from Dolly’s dazzling career are together in one incredible collection. From her early appearances in the ‘60s, through her own spectacular variety shows in the ’70s and ’80s – concerts, interviews, television appearances, blockbuster collaborations with her closest friends, and so much more. So come on the journey of a lifetime with Dolly!
What We Thought:
To call Dolly Parton an icon is too simplistic. Very few people have been in the limelight as long as she has. Very few people have crossed over into film, TV, music and more as well as she has. If you mixed Betty White’s longevity with Cher’s crossover success with Johnny Carson’s charisma and outgoing personality, you might come close to Dolly. She’s been Oscar nominated, Emmy nominated, Golden Globe nominated, Grammy nominated and is in the Country Music Hall of Fame. Heck the woman is a Guinness World Record Award holder (twice).
So how do you do a woman like that justice? With this absolutely mind-blowing release. Dolly: The Ultimate Collection, like the woman herself, is just fantastic. With 19 discs you get so much entertainment it’s hard to even describe. You won’t even put a dent in it right away. It’s hours upon hours of music, interviews, jokes, and Dolly. This Time Life box set takes time to get to everything. You’ll barely scratch the surface in a week. And that’s great if you’re a Dolly Parton fan!
I grew up on Dolly. My parents loved the country music of that era. I knew Dolly, Kenny Rogers, Willie Nelson, Johnny Cash. I knew Dolly from 9 to 5 (which landed her an Oscar nomination for the song). She was bigger than life and still is. If you focus on just the music element of this set, it’ll take you a week. The performances at the CMAs, multiple live events and concerts, this is packed with music.
Then there’s the variety shows, interviews and appearances. It includes 22 episodes of her variety show with names like Kenny Rogers, Smokey Robinson, Burt Reynolds. The woman got the biggest stars in the game. There’s her performances on other shows and a personal favorite song of mine, Jolene. She worked with Bob Hope, appeared on The Tonight Show, Oprah and did other interviews all over the place. When your career spans decades, your appearances span show after show.
Plus you get the authorized BBC documentary Dolly Parton: Here I Am, a new interview with the legend herself, interviews with those whose lives she’s touched and inspired. This box set is a beast and a must-own for fans. It’s a great gift too with the holidays coming up. There is so much in Dolly: The Ultimate Collection it would take thousands of words to describe it and go over it all. You can read the full listing below, but even that doesn’t describe the quality of this collection. It all looks vibrant and a lot of it (hours of it) hasn’t been seen since it originally aired. Plus the box itself has an adorable picture of Miss Parton herself on it, the 4 DVD volumes inside have different pictures and there’s a collector’s book inside as well. If you are a fan, then it’s…
- 22 star-studded episodes of Dolly’s variety shows from the ’70s & ’80s with guest appearances by Oprah Winfrey, Kenny Rogers, Emmylou Harris, Linda Ronstadt, Willie Nelson, Freddy Fender, Burt Reynolds, Miss Piggy, Merle Haggard, Smokey Robinson & The Temptations, Tammy Wynette, Loretta Lynn and more!
- 7 episodes of The Porter Wagoner Show, from 1967 – 1974 featuring historic Dolly Parton performances including Jolene, I Will Always Love You, Coat of Many Colors, Mule Skinner Blues, and her very first appearance where she sang Dumb Blonde.
- A special Christmas disc featuring A Down Home Country Christmas with Mac Davis and Burl Ives, and Bob Hope’s Jolly Christmas Show
- Dolly’s spectacular Live and Well concert from 2002
- Dolly’s unforgettable Live from London concert from 2009 plus bonus features
- Rare TV appearances of Dolly throughout her career from The Tonight Show Starring Johnny Carson, The Oprah Winfrey Show, and Crook & Chase
- The entire Song by Song: Dolly Parton series, highlighting Dolly’s most iconic songs and how they came to be
- Bonus features include Dolly’s University of Tennessee Commencement Address and Imagination Library Dedication Ceremony at The Library of Congress
- Classic duets with Dolly & Porter Wagoner taped live at the Grand Ole Opry
- Unforgettable Dolly Parton performances from the CMA Awards in the ’70s
- New bonus features created just for this collection featuring Dolly Parton reminiscing about memorable moments from throughout her career
- Exclusive, complete, and never before seen interviews with Brandi Carlile, Miley Cyrus, Vince Gill, Miranda Lambert, Brad Paisley, Kellie Pickler, Kenny Rogers, Marty Stuart, Lily Tomlin, and Carrie Underwood!
- Plus your FREE Bonus DVD with the complete authorized BBC documentary Dolly Parton: Here I Am
- An Exclusive Collector’s Book filled with photos, Dolly in her own words, and loving tributes from her famous friends.
- And it all comes in a beautiful Collector’s Box!