In their fifth fully animated feature-film collaboration, Illumination Entertainment and Universal Pictures present The Secret Life of Pets, a comedy about the lives our pets lead when we leave for work or school. Max, voiced by Louis C.K., is a loyal terrier living a perfectly happy existence until his owner, Katie (Ellie Kemper) brings home Duke (Eric Stonestreet) a big, boisterous mutt she finds at the shelter. When Max and his unruly new “roommate” slip away from their dog-walker, they find themselves lost in the urban jungle of New York City. In an attempt to stay ahead of animal control and a rebel band of abandoned pets led by an unhinged bunny named Snowball (Kevin Hart), they put aside their differences to survive the epic journey back home.
What We Thought:
The Secret Life of Pets is absolutely adorable. I’m a grown man with no kids and I thought it was super cute. Your kids will love it too.
I wasn’t sure if I would like it going into the movie. I like the Despicable Me/Minions movies, but I’m not the biggest animals/pets type guy. I grew up with some pets, but I don’t have any now and haven’t in years. I wasn’t sure if the movie would be too childish, but the cast made me want to see it.
It’s that cast that makes it great. Louis CK, Kevin Hart, Eric Stonestreet, Jenny Slate, Ellie Kemper, Albert Brooks and others provide the voices of dogs, cats, birds, a rabbit, a pig, an alligator and more. That cast also makes it funny for adults with the way they deliver lines and kind of make the joke more adult oriented.
Don’t get me wrong, this is 100% perfect for kids of all ages, but movies like this work because of inside adult jokes that go over the heads of children. This also works because of the fantastic animation. Kids and adults will both be laughing at the facial expressions and actions of the animals. I know I did.
The 4K is absolutely pristine perfect. The animation is flawless and beautiful. The colors are sharp and brilliant. The audio is perfect as well. The voice cast sounds on point. This 4K package comes with a ton of bonus features including 3 mini movies as well.
The Secret Life of Pets is one of my favorite animated films of the year. Finding Dory is perfectly fine, but I really enjoyed this. I’ll have to rewatch Kubo and the Two Strings to see if I still like that one better than this. I laughed a lot. I liked the music and the characters and the story. Your kids will love it. You’ll like it a lot. Because of that, it is…
- How to Make an Animated Film – A behind-the-scenes look at how to make an animated film from the various departments that make up Illumination.
- Anatomy of a Scene – Filmmakers and animators take us through the multi-step process it takes to create a specific scene in the Secret Life of Pets
- Norman Television
- Mower Minions
- All About The Pets – Kevin Hart and Eric Stonestreet, with the help of animal trainer Molly Mignon O’Neill take you on an educational journey to learn more about your average and not-so average, household pets.
- Animals Can Talk: Meet The Actors – The comedy superstars who give voice to the film’s menagerie of characters talk about their roles and the process of bringing them to life.
- Hairstylist To The Dogs – Inspired by “Hairspray Live!,” Eric Stonestreet, with the help of a professional dog groomer Jess Rona, will take you through the basic steps to help your pups look as awesome as possible when they’re hanging out with their pet pals.
- The Best Of Snowball – A rapid-fire, fun and oddly musical mash-up of all the best Snowball one-liners
- Hot Dog Sing-Along – Join Max and Duke as they perform for their dinner in the sausage factory. This straightforward sing along is fun for the whole family to enjoy.
- Sing Trailer
- “Lovely Day” Lyric Video
- The Humans that Brought You Pets – Producers Chris Meledandri and Janet Healy, directors Chris Renaud and Yarrow Cheney, and writer Brian Lynch discuss what went into creating The Secret Life of Pet’s compelling characters and non-stop action.
- GoPro®: The Secret Life of Pets
- The Making of the Mini-Movies – A fun and interesting take on the Making of the Mini-Movies – we’ll explore the themes of each of the mini-movies through the eyes of the artists who made them.
Cast & Crew:
- Louis CK
- Kevin Hart
- Jenny Slate
- Eric Stonestreet
- Lake Bell
- Dana Carvey
- Ellie Kemper
- Albert Brooks
Recommended If You Like:
- Despicable Me
- Finding Dory